2011/09/18

Tokyo

This past weekend, I went to Tokyo with my sister. She travels for work and it is my intention to meet up with her at all the exotic spots. Since she will be in Asia a fair bit this year, I intend to take full advantage of the free hotel accommodations (love you Em!). But here are a few pics from our trip and will follow up with dialogue later.

A friend of mine used to have the catch-phrase, "it will change your life."
I used to get mildly irritated, because I personally believe very few things really
change anyone's life. Living abroad, Jesus, falling in love, suffering death, torture,
trauma. You know big things.
Well, this is one of those big things.
Ramen. With pork and bean sprouts and chives.
Stewed in bone marrow and pork fat.
I didn't like ramen before this bowl. I still probably don't really like ramen.
But this stuff changed my life. I will return to this restaurant every time I am
in Tokyo. Even if it is a 3 hour layover. It is worth it. 

The view from Ebisu, I think? After stepping off some of the most modern and
efficient railways in the world, to see a little piece of history is
charming and refreshing. And to know that I don't have to ride behind a steam
engine, but may rest on the powerful arms of electricity and 21st century
transportation-al science. 

have I mentioned, I am afraid of heights?

This is braille. On the 190 meter high observatory floor.
If you look out to the north you can see the Imperial Palace.
Oh wait, you can't see.
しつらいします

View from pretty high up. the black bar on the right
is part of the window, I think. 

Imperial Palace. what is the difference between
an Emperor and a king? Dunno. I will
look it up. 

I love how universal Tintin is. And yet, how delightfully
esoteric. People who know follow Tintin's
adventures are in a little world-wide club
with a semi-exclusive membership.


Sidestreet in Harajuku on a Sunday morning.
The clothes weren't all that crazy. But it is the
beginning of fashion week. 

1 comment:

Bethanie said...

Love the picture about the beginning of fashion week. Yay--Tintin! :) And now I want some of the ramen stuff SO much!