2011/09/13

Japanese Are Shy

That's what the JTE said when she explained how to give a proper handshake for Western Introduction Practice. Japanese people are shy and don't like to show aggression so they avoid eye contact and shake hands limply, if at all.

2 年生 doesn't really fall into that category.

Apparently, this is the class which, three years ago when they were in the 6th grade at the elementary school, they caused a teacher to quit, because they were so out of control. They are rude, obnoxious, loud, and have bad attitudes. "Sometimes," JTE said, grimacing in irritation, "they make me want to go, *ptch-shoo!*" That is the sound of a blood vessel popping.

I understand.

The kids are wild, raucous, and entirely devoid of respect for anyone. They are most assuredly,  not shy. But they all did focus on their self-introductions, more or less. AND almost everybody wrote something in response to my writing in their notebooks! Which was awesome, because JTE didn't have time to explain what they were supposed to do, they just figured it out. There were a few who didn't reply, but I just wrote them new messages and put sparkly stickers in the other kids' books. Hopefully, they will try again.

Another hilarious moment I had was during Q&A. This is a game where the kids stand up and I ask a simple question. The first kid to answer correctly gets to decide who will sit down in his row: behind, in front, right, or left side of the row. The last kid standing is, well, not the loser, since we don't believe in losers in Japan, but not the winner. Whatever that may be. Anyway, I gave a very brief self-intro at the beginning of class, and one kid especially kept putting his head down on the desk, sighing, scratching his head, pulling his hair, and generally manifesting signs of annoyance, avoidance, and apathy. He was the first kid to get an answer in the Q&A, and the ONLY one to understand the question without JTE translating. You can't fool me, dude. I knew you were paying attention, even if reluctantly.

Their handshakes were just fine, but we still have to work on the not-bowing while we shake hands. They've even got ME doing it now. Not for long. Hopefully, I will vanquish. I know I will.

The only thing I regret is looking bored in class. I am trying very hard not to let me face change expression, but it is incredibly difficult when you stand at the front of the room listening to people talk about you in a foreign language, especially if you can understand a little bit. Not enough to fight back, but enough to be irritated. Sometimes this goes on for quite a while. Then I find myself checking the clock, and I can see some of the kids notice I am doing that. It's just that I am so bored of standing in one place, doing nothing. Still, I hope that I will be able to make inroads on the JTE and be able to participate more fully as time goes by.

Pigs may fly...

No comments: