2012/11/16

13 Degrees and Falling Fast!

Last night I dreamed that it had started snowing.

It doesn't snow here, except once in a great long while. It is also still 13 degrees Celsius  so it's not really THAT cold. But it feels like it's freezing. My coworker has already started to complain about his wife's shopping list:

1 electric blanket
1 heavy down comforter
1 pair of woolen slippers
1 new fireplace
1 better-insulated apartment

I have a cheaper solution: wine.

But seriously, my bed is also being piled with numerous warming apparatus. I have two comforters, an extra little blanket for my feet, my winter coat spread out over my feet, and my sweatshirt spread out over my legs. (I do have a third comforter and an electric blanket in the closet, but I refuse to break them out before we hit the 10 degrees mark. One must have some way of marking boundaries.)

It's the kind of cold you can feel on your face when you wake up in the middle of the night to use the loo. The kind of cold that hits your legs and wraps around them like river water. The kind of cold that makes your students bring blankets to school to wrap around themselves as they sit in class in their skirt uniforms. It's winter in the world of no-insulation buildings.

Technically, it's still fall. (Autumn)

Today I'm heading into the city for some winter supplies. Chocolate, cheese, wine, whiskey, oatmeal, and new work pants. Mine are summer trousers, light-weight linen and cotton affairs. I aim to get me some lined woolen slacks. Maybe warm-tech from Uniqlo will actually be warm this year instead of just warm-sounding like last year.

And until then, there is always onsen.

No comments: