2012/05/11

Naoshima

My devotion to the blogging cause has interrupted my work schedule. Thank goodness. With the internet down in the private sector all over Japan, and by this I mean my house, I have taken to composing new posts at the office. I don't write anything too mean about my town or my coworkers, so we should be okay. And they don't really care. Everyone was super-busy about two weeks ago and now things have calmed down again. Most of them walk around trying to look busy, but we know we aren't really. You can't fool me. I don't read Japanese, but the Yahoo! logo is the same in every language. 


On to Naoshima.


Naoshima is an art island. Or 'The Art Island'. This was how it was introduced to me by my travel buddy who induced me to go on the trip, and I still know very little about the place. So let's look it up. 


'Bennesse Art Site Naoshima' has a vision. This vision is 'to create a physically and mentally rejuvenating haven where you may find yourself musing on the true meaning of "living well" (which is what the word Benesse was coined to mean), and at the same time, a place where art is not experienced by studying set attitudes but appreciated on your own terms, as another opportunity to ponder living well.' - Soichiro Fukutake, President of the Bennesse Art Site, Naoshima. 


There are a number of interesting art experiences on the island including the Chichu Art museum which is completely underground (so as not to interfere with the beautiful scenery of the island) and the Lee Ufan museum, the first (and perhaps only...?) museum dedicated to displaying the art of Korean artist Lee Ufan. Mostly it looks like the stuff is boulders and blocks of wood... when it's not blank canvases with small squares of grey paint. Personally, I do not appreciate this kind of art, but someone must. Like ugly children, you know? Their mommas must love them. 

A number of other islands in the Inland Sea have also been commandeered (in the nicest possible way) for the purpose of creating a little artistic oasis away from the crazy hustle and bustle which is modern day Japan. You have to take a ferry out to the islands, after a train ride to a literal dead-end station (Uno), and it is kind of set out there by itself. Honestly, though, we got too late a start to see any of the art, except for a few outdoor exhibits. But the island of Naoshima, is truly beautiful and comparatively peaceful, a lovely little bit of quiet outside of the frightful buzz that can sometimes emanate from the human swarm that is the residents of Japan. 



The red pumpkin on the wharf

From INSIDE the red pumpkin on the wharf!
This is a famous pumpkin, the entire reason we came to the island, I believe. I forget
the artist's name, but she is famous for her use of polka dots. I kid you not.
There was a very long line of people, waiting to take their pictures with this pumpkin.
We did not wait in line. We sat on the side and took pictures from an angle.
It's more artistic that way.

Some more of the beautiful inland sea views.

I thought this was a mouse. Helena thought it was something naughty. On second thought,
it kind of looks like a person typing or playing the piano.
Or doing something naughty.
Or a mouse. 

No comments: